English has a pre-eminent place in education and in society. At Abbey Village, we believe that the teaching of English is designed to instil in children a love of speaking and listening, reading, and writing that will last them a lifetime. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others, and through their reading and listening, others can communicate with them. Through reading in particular, pupils have the opportunity to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, and socially, taking on the challenges of this ever-changing society.
We engage our pupils with the joy and wonder of books and pique their imagination and creativity.
It is our aim in English to:
- Inspire a love of reading, widely and often.
- For our children to read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Inspire children to be confident in the arts of speaking and listening, and who can use discussion to develop their learning
- Acquire rich and varied vocabulary
- Write clearly, accurately, and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
We do this by:
- Making English lessons interesting and exciting.
- Teaching daily English sessions.
- Daily guided reading sessions, with a wide variety of quality texts and resources used, tactfully selected for all children to enable discussion, and development of language.
- A consistent approach to the teaching of phonics, which is taught daily.
- Sharing a passion and love of reading with the children.
- Providing opportunities for interactive oral work with the whole class and groups- focusing on activities that promote speaking and listening- role play, play scripts, podcasts, radio reports, newscast reports.
- Providing enrichment opportunities, e.g. World Book Day, Reading week.
- Stimulating, engaging learning environments e.g. Leader of learning, dictionary detectives, discrete .
- A library with modern authors and quality rich texts.