Maths At Abbey Village
Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives.
The school uses a variety of teaching and learning styles in Mathematics lessons. Our principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in Mathematics. We do this through a daily lesson that has a high proportion of whole-class and group-direct teaching in Key Stage 1 and 2.
During these lessons we encourage children to ask as well as answer mathematical questions. They have the opportunity to use a wide range of resources such as ten frames, part whole models, place value grids, number lines, number squares, Numicon and small apparatus to support their work.
Children use ICT in Mathematics lessons where it will enhance their learning, as in modelling ideas and methods. We encourage the children to use and apply their learning in everyday situations.
It is our aim in maths to:
- Offer a broad and balanced curriculum
- develop children’s confidence and competence with numbers and measures
- present maths in an exciting and challenging way
- develop children’s ability to apply their skills in problem solving and practical activities
- ensure that children learn to record their work in an appropriate manner
- ensure that children are confident in using technical vocabulary to explain their reasoning
- help children realise that numeracy is relevant in many aspects of their lives and in their immediate environment
We do this by...
- making maths lessons fun and engaging
- teaching daily mathematics lessons
- providing opportunities for interactive oral work with the whole class and groups
- placing an emphasis on mental calculation
- making links with real life problems
- ensuring the children build their maths concepts through the use of a concrete - pictorial - abstract approach together with problem solving opportunities