Science at Abbey Village
The Importance of Science
Scientists at all levels, from children in the classroom to university researchers, use skills of investigation to find out more about the world around them. For the child, the importance of teaching science is because:
1. Scientific knowledge can give a deeper understanding of the world.
2. Scientific attitudes can foster their curiosity and develop enquiring minds.
3. Scientific skills can equip children with strategies for finding out independently and solving problems.
4. Science has, does and will continue to play a major role in our modern society.
The teaching of science at Abbey Village Primary School aims to:
• Enhance children’s understanding of the world
• Encourage care and respect for the environment and the living things in it
• Provide equality of opportunity
• Develop curiosity and foster problem solving, exploration and discovery
• Encourage co-operative skills as well as the growth of the individual
• Encourage development of problem solving strategies in science, and transfer of these skills to other areas of the curriculum.
• Appreciate and promote positive attitudes towards the impact of science and scientists, to capture their interests and reflect current science from the world of industry
• Ensure pupils have the subject knowledge linked to the Science National Curriculum programmes of study.
• Promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through experiencing the full wonder of the universe.
Links for Children
Wow Science Links to Science games and activities
Science Experiments Links to Science experiments that can be carried out at home
Science Games Games that require you to use your Scientific knowledge
NASA Games Explore the universe through fun and exciting games from NASA